General Conference FHE: Moral Discipline

"Moral discipline is the consistent exercise of agency to choose the right because it is right, even when it is hard." - Elder D. Todd Christofferson

Song: "Choose the Right"

Scripture:
Joshua 24:15

Brief Lesson:
During my freshman year in high school, there was a boy across the room from me who was surrounded be some peers prior to class beginning. They were asking him to say a curse word. He repeatedly turned down their "offer" to say such words. I turned to the person sitting next to me in my desk and asked why there were wanting this guy to say a bad word. Their quick response struck a very strong cord in me: "That's David. He's Mormon and they don't cuss."

That was the first time I had heard of a "Mormon."

From that one example, I became friends with David. I wasn't LDS-- but for the rest of my four years in high school-- I spent watching those that were "Mormon" and I wanted to know more about the religion that each of them lived-- not just believed.

I was baptized a few months after graduating high school.

Because of David's moral discipline and deciding to choose the right in what may have seemed really simple to follow the crowd in saying ONE WORD... my life has been eternally blessed.


General Conference Talk:
"Moral Discipline" ~ Elder D. Todd Christofferson


Activity:

Pumpkin Carvin' time!!! It's the time of year to carve those orange balls of Fall bliss into scary faces that light up! While you carve pumpkins, discuss examples in your lives that have helped shaped who you are. When has someone shown their moral discipline? How can you show it this week and each day?

Pumpkin Carving 101

Treat:


Take those pumpkin seeds and toast them in the oven. Try it with some vanilla ice-cream, too!

How to Toast Pumpkin Seeds
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments:

Post a Comment